The Historic Harrisburg Association established the Community Historic Preservation Fund (CHPF) in 1996 as a permanent endowment to be used for preserving and restoring historic structures, and working to sustain vital projects in the City of Harrisburg. Through the CHPF, Historic Harrisburg has historically awarded matching cash grants for worthy preservation projects.
The CHPF is managed by an independent Council of Trustees appointed by the Board of Directors of Historic Harrisburg Association.
2014 Grant Opportunities
The Historic Harrisburg Association has announced grant opportunities to organizations which are exploring or conducting projects that promote and accomplish the preservation of historic buildings, neighborhoods, and landmarks. The grants are distributed by Historic Harrisburg's Community Historic Preservation Fund. The Historic Harrisburg Association established the Community Historic Preservation Fund (CHPF) in 1996 as a permanent endowment to be used for preserving and restoring historic structures, and working to sustain vital projects in the City of Harrisburg. Through the CHPF, Historic Harrisburg has historically awarded matching cash grants for worthy preservation projects.
The program has been retooled to focus on projects within the public realm including monuments, parks, churches, public access spaces, and streetscapes. Standard historic preservation projects of buildings also qualify.
"We are excited to announce and re-launch the Community Historic Preservation Fund Grant Program this year, especially at a time when City organizations are looking to do more with less," said Executive Director John Campbell.
Applicants must meet the following criteria:
Applications much be received by 4:00 PM on April 30, 2014 to be considered. Awards will be announced by May 15, 2014 and awarded during Historic Harrisburg's Preservation Awards Ceremony on May 29, 2014.
Consider making a lasting contribution to the Community Historic Preservation Fund TODAY!
Historic Harrisburg Association
Community Historic Preservation Fund
1230 North Third Street
Harrisburg, PA 17102
Historic Harrisburg manages Harrisburg's historic Broad Street Market. Harrisburg's Broad Street Market was established on Broad Street by the Verbeke family in 1860. Today it is one of the oldest continuously operating farmers markets in the country.
HHA Broad Street Market Corporation is a wholly owned subsidiary of Historic Harrisburg Association. HHA works with the City of Harrisburg, which owns the Market buildings, to maintain the market as a thriving marketplace serving the community and as a historic architectural landmark.
Serving as the long-time anchor of retail activity in the Midtown business corridor along Third Street north of the Capitol Complex, the Broad Street Market fills three city blocks between Third and Sixth Streets. The older "Stone Market" was completed in 1863. The "Brick Market" was built between 1874 and 1886.
The Market was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1974. Coinciding with a $2.5 million renovation performed by the City of Harrisburg, the Market was placed under the management of Historic Harrisburg Association (May, 1996), which formed a wholly owned subsidiary, the Broad Street Market Corp., to conduct its operation.
For more information about the market, including a vendor list and the hours of operation, please visit the Broad Street Market Web site.